Want to vend at the Yellow Springs Street Fair?
You’ve come to the right place! Here are some Frequently Asked Questions that will get you started. Following the FAQ, you’ll find links to more information and applications, and a way to contact us if you still have questions.
The Yellow Springs Street Fair is always on the second Saturday of June and October. 2017 dates are June 10 and October 14.
How many people usually attend Street Fair? What should I expect?
Usually, Yellow Springs Street Fair gets anywhere between 20,000 – 25,000 visitors throughout the course of the day.
Do you accept food trucks and trailers?
Yes, we do! When you apply, just select the correct number of 10×10 spaces to fit your truck/trailer. For example, if your truck is 26′ long, you need to request three 10×10 spaces.
What do you look for in your applicants?
The Yellow Springs Street Fair endeavors to provide an interesting shopping experience for our visitors and successful selling experience for our vendors, so we prioritize inviting a unique and varied mix of vendors who sell quality products.
We do not accept new vendors who sell items that are not handcrafted by them, including imports and mass-produced items, direct sales products like 31 Gifts, Scentsy, Mary Kay, etc. or who represent a political candidate, campaign or party. This includes “home improvement” vendors like those who sell bathtubs, gutters, etc.
We also do not allow the sale of guns, knives, water pistols, snappers, caps, explosives, or weapons of any type. No tobacco products, drug-related items, or silly string may be sold either. Violations may result in removal from the event and not being welcome back. We reserve the right to reject or accept vendors at our sole discretion.
Which application should I use?
If your business or home address has a zip code of 45387 or 45316, please use the LOCAL vendor application.
If you are located in any other zip code, please use the NON-Local application.
If you represent a non-profit looking for a booth space at the festival, please use the Craft vendor application.
If you sell food that is created and packaged following all cottage food laws (such as packaged baked goods, salsa, jam, etc.) and will not be cooking any food at the festival, you may use the Craft vendor application.
Please note that you MUST use a valid address where you personally can receive mail, as we send vehicle passes and vendor information via the US Postal Service. Be sure to double check that your address is typed correctly. No P.O. Boxes.
How much does it cost to be a vendor?
The Yellow Springs Street Fair is an event that seeks to promote our local entrepreneurs and crafters as well as to offer non-local vendors the opportunity to experience some of the wonderful people and events that can be found in Yellow Springs. As such, there is a different price structure for local and non-local vendors. Local vendors are ONLY those who have a physical business address or reside in the zip codes 45387 (Yellow Springs) or 45316 (Clifton). All other vendors are considered non-local.
All prices include the $15 application fee:
- For craft vendors, one booth for a local vendor is $115, and for a non-local vendor, $215.
- For food vendors, one booth for a local vendor is $145, and for non-local, $245 (includes trash and emergency preparedness fees).
- Vendors can add booths, up to a total of four 10×10 spaces, for $100 each local or $200 each non-local.
- Businesses who are members of the Yellow Springs Chamber of Commerce have their $15 application fee waived.
- Non-profits receive a $50 discount towards the total of their booth fees.
- The online application automatically updates and shows your total as you fill out the application. You may indicate the total number of booth spaces you need near the end of the application. For food vendors, there is also the option to request electricity and water hookups for a fee. Payment in full is required at the time of application.
How may I submit my payment?
Payment in full is required at the time of application. When you click “submit” at the bottom of the application page, you will be redirected to PayPal where you can pay using your paypal account if you have one, or if you don’t, your credit or debit card. If this fails for you, please contact us. Please note that we are unable to consider applications that are submitted without payment.
What can I do to increase my chances of being accepted?
If you are not a returning vendor, PLEASE upload a photo of your normal booth set-up with your application. Not doing so could render your application invalid, as this is written clearly in the instructions. We know you know what you’re doing, but we need to know that your setup will fit in.
Please upload CLEAR, correctly formatted photos that demonstrate the range and quality of the products that you make and sell. If you feel that three photos are not enough to display the range and quality of your products, you can always e-mail more photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Some vendors also use image editing programs to juxtapose several photos of different products into one image.
Having a website, Facebook page or Etsy shop always helps. Please be sure to enter the full URL correctly into the application. Please also do NOT have your page “under construction” or “on hiatus” during the jury period.
Please be sure to keep up-to-date on checking your e-mails. Not only because that is how you’ll be notified of whether or not you were accepted, but sometimes our selection team asks for questions or additional photos of your work or booth set-up. Not responding to those e-mails will hurt your chances of being accepted.
PLEASE be sure to read and follow the instructions on the application. Demonstrated failure to understand the application instructions or rules for vendors will bar you from participation in future Street Fairs. We reserve the right to reject or accept vendors at our sole discretion.
How large is a booth space?
Booth spaces are 10×10 each. If your set-up will exceed 10×10 in any way, you will need to request and pay for two spaces. Vendors can use up to four booth spaces each. You are responsible for providing your own booth/canopy, tables, chairs and other items you need for set-up. No electricity is available for craft vendors.
Sharing of booth spaces by multiple vendors is strictly prohibited. Booth spaces are non-transferable and may only be operated by the individual(s) who purchase them.
What times are set-up and tear-down and how do they work?
Set-up and tear-down are very rigorous and noncompliance will result in vendors being banned from future participation. However, there are volunteers around to help with the process, so no worries! Vendors may arrive no earlier than 6:30 AM (7 is preferable) and must follow the traffic route designated on their vendor letter to drive to their booth, unload their car, park, and then come back to begin setting up the booths. All cars must be off the streets by 8:00 AM. Spaces not occupied by 8:30 AM will be reassigned.
Tear down follows the same traffic routes. Vendors must stop selling and begin packing promptly at 5:00 PM. Vendors must break down and pack up entirely BEFORE bringing their car onto the street, load up, and then leave. It is imperative that cars and booths be off the street by 6PM, as a street sweeper comes through. It is very important that vendors follow the rule of not bringing their car onto the street until their booth is fully torn down, in order to keep traffic moving.
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH SET-UP AND TEAR DOWN PROCEDURES WILL RESULT IN BEING BARRED FROM PARTICIPATION IN FUTURE STREET FAIRS. Please listen and be kind to our volunteers. They are here to help.
What are some reasons I might not be accepted?
The Yellow Springs Street Fair is a well-attended event that usually receives a lot of interest from potential vendors. While it would be wonderful if everyone could vend at the official Street Fair, that just isn’t possible. Most of the time, people may be rejected due to space constraints , or the fact that there are already too many vendors selling the same type of thing. Some vendors are rejected because they did not follow application instructions (including, but not limited to failure to pay fees) or because they sell items that are not handcrafted by them or are otherwise prohibited at Street Fair. Check out the answer to “what do you look for in your applicants?” for more details. We reserve the right to reject or accept vendors at our sole discretion.
If I don’t get in, are my fees refundable?
If for some reason you are not accepted, we will refund your payment as soon as possible, minus the $15 application fee. The $15 application fee is non-refundable and is required for your application to be considered valid. You may need to go into paypal to retrieve your refund. If there are any questions or concerns about this process, please contact us. If you are interested, you may also contact us so that we will add you to our e-mail list so you can be notified when applications are ready for the next Street Fair.
How long do I have to apply?
Applications will be open until Friday, April 14, 2017. After that date, applications will continue to be accepted until spaces are filled. If the application you need is not available below, that means we are full for that type of vendors. If you’re interested, contact us and we can add you to our e-mail list so that you’ll be notified when applications are ready for the next Street Fair.
When will I know if I am accepted?
If you apply before the April 14 deadline, expect your decision via e-mail either on or before May 19. If you applied after the deadline, expect a waiting period of at least one to two weeks.
If you use Gmail, please be sure to check your “promotions” tab, as many of our e-mails end up there for some users. Adding email@example.com to your contacts list may solve this problem.
If I’m a returning vendor, will I have the same booth space as before?
The Yellow Springs Street Fair always tries our best to give returning vendors the same spot that they’ve had in the past unless there was a noted issue with the location. It is fine to mention your booth location preference in your application. However, mostly due to the fact that Street Fair receives a high volume of applications, we cannot make any guarantees about booth location. Booth assignments are final. Once your vendor letter is sent, booth locations will not be changed.
Vendors are expected to know that due to the sheer number of Street Fair booths and complexity of assigning them, that not all requests for specific booths or booth types can be accommodated. This may mean having a different booth space from one festival to the next. Please do not contact us requesting changes in booth spaces after your vendor letter has been received.
Can I choose my booth location?
Yellow Springs Street Fair desires our vendors to have a successful selling experience. If you are familiar with Yellow Springs, it is absolutely fine if you voice your preference on booth location on your application. Just please be aware that we can make NO GUARANTEES that we will be able to oblige. Booth assignments are FINAL. Once your vendor letter is sent, booth locations will not be changed. If you have a problem with your booth location, please let us know, and it will be noted for future Street Fairs.
Do I have to collect sales tax?
Sales tax in Ohio is 6.75%. You are responsible for collecting and reporting sales tax for any sales made during the event.
Any extra info a food vendor might need to know?
HEALTH & SAFETY REQUIREMENTS: Food vendors must check with the Greene County Combined Health District, 360 Wilson Drive, Xenia, OH 45385 (937-374-5600) for food handling and license requirements. Food vendors using charcoal must have fire extinguishers. The Greene County Combined Health District, Miami Township Fire Department and Yellow Springs Electric department inspect all booths the day of the event for adherence to these requirements. Provide a Certificate of Liability Insurance.
WATER GUIDELINES: Water hook ups are available on a limited basis; hook up fee is $30. You must provide your own food grade hoses equipped with backflow preventers.
ELECTRICITY GUIDELINES: Electrical hookups are available on a limited basis; hookup fee is $60.00 for 4,000 watts; one plug is 1000 watts. Vendors MUST use U.L. Certified 10 or 12 ga. wire extension cords. Only 120-volt plug-in hookups are allowed. Any vendor requiring more than 4,000 watts MUST SUPPLY A GENERATOR to be noted on the application. 220-volt or hard-wired connections are strictly prohibited.
FIRE SAFETY INFO:
• No gasoline, gas, charcoal, or other cooking device or any other unapproved open flames are permitted inside a tent or under a canopy. Unvented deep-fryers may not be inside a tent or under a canopy.
• All food vendors who are cooking and/or heating food must provide at least one working ABC- or BC-type fire extinguisher near their cooking area.
• Any food vendor wishing to utilize the Village of Yellow Springs’ electrical service or a generator must use UL-certified, defect-free, 10 or 12 gauge extension cords. Cords that do not meet this requirement will be removed from service. Please note that the Village’s electrical service is provided in 20-amp increments; if accessing it, you need to know what your appliances’ amp draw is.
• Multi-plug electrical adaptors, such as cube adaptors, unfused plug strips or any other device not complying with the National Electrical Code are prohibited and will be removed from service.
• Vendor spaces, including tents and other overhangs, may not extend into the designated fire lanes maintained during the Street Fair. These fire lanes are maintained on the west side of Xenia Avenue (US 68).
• Smoking is prohibited beneath any tent or canopy.
• Any spare LP gas cylinders required for cooking must be kept outside of the tent or canopy when not in use.
My question is not listed here.
Please feel free to contact Alexandra Scott, our Events Coordinator, either at (937)-767-2686 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE read the FAQ thoroughly before contacting. Thank you.
Applications for the June 10, 2017 Street Fair are available until April 14!
- Please read and follow all application instructions completely. Failure to comply with application instructions may render your application invalid and/or bar you from participation in future street fairs.
- LOCAL Craft App June 2017 Street Fair
- NON-LOCAL Craft App June 2017 Street Fair
- LOCAL Food App June 2017 Street Fair
- NON-LOCAL Food App June 2017 Street Fair
- Please do not fill out the application from a mobile device or tablet. It is possible, however it tends to cause errors for both our team and the applicant. Thanks for your understanding.
- The deadline for applications is Friday, April 14, 2017. Applications will be accepted after that date on a first-come, first-serve basis until we are full.
- Missed the deadline but interested in vending in the future? Contact us to be added to our mailing list so you can be notified when applications are ready for the October 14, 2017 Street Fair!